October Top 6 Garden TipsOctober 19, 2018
We’re hiring!March 12, 2019
The days are growing shorter as winter approaches and in Victoria, we are still mowing lawns on a regular basis! Soon the mowers will be going in for their annual maintenance in preparation for winter rest. Brentwood Grounds crew are well prepared physically for the extra leaf loading that happens at this time of year. We encourage all gardeners to maintain their physical health with lots of stretching, strength work and regular self-care maintenance appointments to avoid gardening injuries!
The leaves are rapidly falling and it’s important to stay on top of their cleanup
- Excessive leaves left on the lawn block light and reduce water evaporation which can cause fungus, molds and disease. These things can wipe out a healthy lawn in a year or two.
- Now is the time to think about decorating with seasonal greens and berries in your planters and entrances. I like to bring the outdoors in for winter décor.
- Aim for a tidy and joyful landscape right through the winter. It’s very calming and encourages relaxation when our gardens are clean.
- Gardening is year round in Victoria. The rule of the gardening thumb is that winter garden bed preparation is not over until the garden freezes no matter what the calendar says. As long as you can get a spade in the ground the ground can still be worked. This includes bulb and winter annual planting.
- Keep watering those newly planted shrubs/trees that were planted until in early Fall until the ground freezes.
- November is also an ideal time to spread an organic mulch in the garden beds.
- We are continuing to prune and shape shrubs and trees at this time of year.
- Lastly, remember to keep your windows clean so that you can sit back and enjoy the beauty that November brings from the comfort of home. It’s the perfect time of year to schedule consults and walkarounds with your gardeners to plan for your upcoming property maintenance goals.
Rhonda and Ian